Friday, November 22, 2013

Are Digital Billboards a Good Investment?

I am making lots of loans for digital billboards.  Digital billboards make sense in markets where there are no new sign permits (you can have up to 8 advertisers on face sign) and in urban markets where high rents are possible.  A regular 14 by 48 billboard, however, will offer a better return on your capital due to the lower upfront costs.

Here is the return on capital for a simple two sided 14 by 48 billboard:
  • Construction cost is $40,000.
  • Useful life of the board is 20 years.  This is a very conservative assumption.  I've heard of 30-40 year lives of some steel monopoles.
  • Revenues are $2,500/month consisting of $1,250/month for each side.
  • Expenses include sales commission ($500/month or 20% of revenue), land rent ($500/month or 20% of revenue), electricity ($100/mont) and insurance ($45/month). 
This results in a cashflow of $1,355/month or $16,260/year on an investment of $40,000.  The IRR is 40%/year over the 20 year life of the steel sign.

Here is the return on capital for a digital billboard:

  • Construction cost of $270,000 for a one sided digital billboard.
  • Useful life of the board is 7 years.  I have heard of some estimates that the useful life of signs is closer to 5 years.  The sign may last longer than that but you will be pressured to replace it within 7 years in order to stay up with the latest technology.  I've seen digital signs which are older than 10 years and they look tawdry compared to new signs.
  • Revenues are $8,750/month assuming the sale of 7 of the 8 possible flips at $1,250/month.  I've assumed that one flip is always vacant.
  • Expenses include sales commissions ($1,750/month or 20% of revenue), land rent ($1,750/month or 20% of revenue), insurance ($45/month), electricity ($200/month) and internet connection ($45/month).

This results in cashflow of $4,960/month or $59,520/year.  The IRR is only 13%/per year over the 7 year life of the sign due to the high upfront capital cost.  The IRR drops to 4%/per annum if the sign has only a 5 year useful life.  To generate a 40%/year IRR you need to generate at least $20,000/month from the digital sign.

Conclusion:  Use digital only at your best locations where high rents are possible.  A digital sign won't make a bad location good and will probably make a fair location bad when you look at the return on capital.







4 comments:

  1. I belong to the same industry but some points were really new to me. I would like to post this in my Facebook, Cheers:) Source: J&B Signs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have never seen such blogs ever before that has complete things with all details which I want. So kindly update this ever for us.
    Yola resource

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good articles, Have you heard of LFDS (Le_Meridian Funding Service, Email: lfdsloans@outlook.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740--lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) is as USA/UK funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.

    ReplyDelete