Thursday, December 19, 2013

Billboard Loan Fees and Their Impact on Financing Costs

Am amazed how often borrowers begin a conversation with me by saying "what's your interest rate?"  Interest rates are important, but you also need to take into account loan fees and prepayment penalties in computing the total cost of a loan.

I typically charge a 2% loan fee, a 1% transaction fee and an interest rate of prime plus 6% with a floor of 12% for a five year commitment.  There is no prepayment penalty and no success fee or exit fee.  The annual cost of one of my loans is 12.6% computed as follows:

Annual interest rate:                                  12.00%
Annual cost of fees (3%/5)                            0.60%
            Annual Cost of Loan                       12.60%

Here is a loan structure which I have seen several times in the industry from another lender.  The interest rate is 11.5% for a three year commitment.  It appears cheaper but there is a 5% loan fee due in the beginning of the loan and a 3% exit fee due at the end of the loan.  The annual cost of this loan is 14.16% calculated as follows:

Annual interest rate:                                    11.50%
Annual cost of fees (8%/3)                             2.66%
             Annual Cost of Loan                       14.16%

Conclusion: Look at all costs when trying to decide what loan is your best option.

4 comments:

  1. I have been dotty by reading your blog because it has a unique data.
    Yola web

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blogs regularly. Your humoristic way is amusing, continue the good work!
    Google Site Web

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good articles, Have you heard of LFDS (Le_Meridian Funding Service, Email: lfdsloans@outlook.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740--lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) is as USA/UK funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.

    ReplyDelete